Thank you for your interest in Dundurn Press! We are an independent and Canadian-owned publisher of contemporary trade fiction and non-fiction. Our books amplify and elevate exceptional writers and reflect the world, satisfy curiosity, enlighten, and entertain.
We are eager to consider your manuscript or proposal. Please review our guidelines carefully, and take a look at recent and upcoming titles on our website to determine if your project fits with our publishing program. Please send your submission to us by email. Do not send your submission by post or by hand; it will not be reviewed. If you have a query, include it in the email along with your submission.
At Dundurn Press, we seek to reflect the broadness of our society through our organization and book products. We welcome your submission and the contribution you can make to Dundurn Press given your culture, ethnicity, race, gender identity, age, disability, sexual preference, and beliefs. If you haven’t seen yourself sufficiently reflected through books in Canada, we strongly encourage you to submit!
We are currently accepting literary fiction and literary non-fiction such as memoir.
We will also be accepting non-fiction across numerous genres including:
- history, especially Canadian and social history
- public policy
- business and economics
- true crime
- self-help and well being
- Canadiana and local interest
- music and culture
- city building and architecture
- social science
- popular science
We are currently not accepting the following genres:
What to include in your submissions email
- an introductory email introducing yourself and your project
- your manuscript or proposal, as an attachment (Word file preferred, but a pdf is okay); please no links to Google Drive, Dropbox, WeTransfer, and the like
- in the subject line provide the title of your project and genre
- if you are a returning author, please include that in the subject line
For fiction manuscripts
- full manuscripts only; 10pt to 12pt type and single or double spaced; include page numbers, title, and your name in the header or footer
- a synopsis of one to three pages
- a literary CV that lists your previous publications (if any), works in literary magazines/journals, and relevant experience
- the word count
For nonfiction proposals
- at least three sample chapters
- a one-to-two-page description of your book including why it is relevant and timely
- a literary CV that lists your previous publications (if any) and relevant experience
- a table of contents and chapter-by-chapter outline; for memoir and other literary nonfiction a one-to-three-page synopsis may be more appropriate
- an estimated word count of the full manuscript
- the status of your manuscript and when you expect to complete it