Your Haunted Ontario

Your Haunted Ontario

Posted on August 28 by Kyle
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Pinterest

Day One: TORONTO (travel time between start and end points: approx. 45 minutes)

Black Creek Pioneer Village

1000 Murray Ross Parkway

There have been many haunting experiences at the Black Creek Pioneer Village. One of the most notable ghosts inhabits Stong’s Second House which was built in 1832.

People have reported hearing footsteps, noises, and doors opening and closing. Those unexplained activities are said to be the work of the ghost of Michael Stong who died in 1845 and was the first person to be buried at Black Creek’s cemetery.

University College, University of Toronto

St. George Campus, 27 King’s College Circle

The home of the most notorious haunting on the campus, University College is said to be inhabited by the ghost of Ivan Reznikoff. He was a stonemason who, upon finding out that his girlfriend was cheating on him with his co-worker, tried to get revenge and was stabbed to death.

Although this happened in the 1850s, students today still claim to see Reznikoff roaming the campus and there are some unexplained noises at night.

While you’re there, check out some other haunted U of T locations: The Soldier’s Tower, Trinity College, Regis College, Massey College, and more!

The Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre

189 Yonge Street

There are reports of over 80 different ghosts and spirits in the theatres. They range from well-dressed theatre-goers in dresses or suits to ill-fated musicians who died in the orchestra pit.

The Winter Garden theatre also boasts a chair brought in from a theatre in Chicago where the gangster John Dillinger once sat. Who’s to say his ghost hasn’t come with his favourite seat?

Hockey Hall of Fame

30 Yonge Street

Before it played host to the hall of fame, the beautiful building had been a bank. There, a young teller named Dorothy committed suicide in the washroom after being jilted by her former lover who was also her co-worker.

Rumour has it that Dorothy still haunts the upstairs washroom and can be heard banging doors and making noises.

Day Two: MISSISSAUGA (travel time between start and end points: approx. 30 minutes)

Adamson Estate

 850 Enola Ave

One ghost that is said to wander this Port Credit house is a groundskeeper who committed suicide after being rejected by another servant. Other witnesses suggest that the original lady of the house, Mable Cawthra, is still present.

Reports have been made of doors closing, disembodied female voices, and a piano that plays itself.

The Cawthra Estate 

1507 Cawthra Road

The house was given to Grace Cawthra and her husband, Major-General Harry Cawthra-Elliot in 1926. After Harry’s death in 1949, Grace lived alone until her own death in 1974.

People have claimed that Grace never left the house after she died. If that’s the case, Grace is not alone: her brother-in-law has also been sense, and a female servant has been spotted looking out the window.

Cherry Hill House 

680 Silver Creek Boulevard

Built in 1822 by Joseph Silverthorn as a home for his wife and twelve children, the house was moved to a new foundation in 1972 and was later turned into a restaurant. Claims of furniture moving, doors opening and closing, footsteps and unexplained cold spots plagued the servers and patrons.

Although the restaurant is now closed, it’s worth a visit for a hopeful ghosthunter.

Old Barber House Restaurant

5155 Mississauga Road

Celebrate your successful day of ghosthunting with a fine meal at the Old Barber House Restaurant. Stories say that the daughters of William Barber both died in the house (one from being quarantined in the basement, the other from suicide).

As if that’s not creepy enough, there have also been reports of a man in full Victorian garb wandering around the upstairs bar, glowing orbs appearing in photos, and the sound of crashing plates – without a trace of broken china.

Day Three: OAKVILLE/BURLINGTON  (travel time between start and end points: approx. 30 minutes)

Oakville Museum at Erchless Estate

8 Navy Street

Built in 1858 and turned into a museum in the 1960s, this building is home to a variety of ghosts who may be the original occupants of the house. Sightings include a woman near the front gate and a butler walking up the stairs. There was even one incident when all the electronics started flashing on and off, printers shooting out papers, and keyboards being tapped – when there was only one employee in the entire museum.

Joseph Brant Museum

1240 North Shore Blvd. E., Burlington

The original building, built by Mohawk chief Joseph Brant in 1800, was demolished in 1927, and the museum was established in the late 1930s, officially opening in 1942. The “main” ghost in the museum is named Elisa, a woman who is most often seen in white or grey. We know her name thanks to a witness who actually “conversed” with the ghost!

Emma’s Back Porch

2084 Old Lakeside Road, Burlington

Emma and George Byren lived here in the early 1900s with their two kids. Back then, it was called The Estaminet Standard Hotel, and was a restaurant with only four tables. It was renamed “Emma’s Back Porch” when it opened as a restaurant in 1992, and since then, there have been reports of Emma’s children, both of whom died at a young age, running around the grounds, up the stairs, and slamming doors.

You could also extend the trip into Hamilton, which is apparently full of haunted spots: http://www.ghostwalks.com/hamilton.htm!