Dundurn Press is looking for a Production Assistant to start April 3, 2017, salary commensurate with experience. The job description is below. If you have any interest in this position, please send your application to Sheila Douglas, sdouglas [at] dundurn [nospam] com.
Job title: Production Assistant
Reports to: Director of Design and Production
- The Production Assistant is charged with supporting the Design and Production department with all day-to-day tasks.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure that all production details are up-to-date and accurate in Booksonix, including physical specifications, covers, and printing details
- Set up all frontlist titles and any backlist titles requested at Lighting Source, including file manipulation, page proofing, and troubleshooting problem files
- Co-ordinate printer proof sign-off process between editorial, production, and the printers
- Update existing files with reprint changes as necessary, upload files to printer as requested
- Request costing from printers and conduct breakdowns of pricing
- Archive maintenance and updating to ensure that all digital assets are accounted for an up-to-date
- Transfer files to printers and freelancers as needed
- Conduct illustration reviews for images needed for book interiors and providing feedback to editorial
- Enter editorial page proof corrections as requested
- Image editing as requested
- Research and source images as requested
- Locate and disseminate design/production files as requested for other departments
- General BA
- Book and Magazine Publishing Certificate or Ryerson Continuing Education Book Publishing Certificate or previous publishing job experience in a design and production capacity
- Must have competent InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop, and Excel skills
- Competent understanding of printing processes and terminology
- Familiarity with Adobe Illustrator is an asset
- Comfortable working on a Mac platform
Skills and abilities:
- Excellent ability to multitask
- Excellent organizational and prioritizing skills, resulting in fulfilled deadlines
- Excellent ability to follow established procedures
- Strong writing and editing skills to help maintain professional and courteous email discourse with authors, printers and co-workers
- Capable of taking criticism and feedback to generate results that meet needs of all departments
- Hard working, energetic, friendly
- Works well in a group and is an asset to the publishing team
- Works well individually and is able to take direction
- Rare evening work to meet especially tight deadlines.
- Desk work
- Light office duties.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time focused on a computer screen.