Dundurn Press is looking for a Project Editor. The job description is below. If you have any interest in this position, please send your application to Kathryn Lane, klane [at] dundurn [nospam] com.
Job title: Project Editor
Reports to: Managing Editor
- The primary purpose of this position is the coordination of editorial material and processes to ensure that titles adhere to (a) standards for editorial quality, (b) vision and extent communicated by the Acquisitions Editor or Developmental Editor, (c) budgets, (d) series branding, where applicable.
Duties and responsibilities
- Plan and manage production of assigned titles from copyedit to release to design/ layout, and shepherd books through the proof checking stages while ensuring titles remain on schedule.
- Communicate clearly with authors keeping them informed of schedules, processes, and progress on their books, and ensuring all materials (indexes, captions, etc.) are received on time.
- Follow Dundurn’s production processes, while actively managing books that break from standard workflow.
- Work with managing editor to review and improve editorial quality.
- Assist managing editor to evaluate scheduling and freelancer performance.
- Brief freelance editors clearly regarding Dundurn’s editorial style and practices. Provide clear guidance on the extent of the work and the level of editing or proofreading required.
ON EACH TITLE:
- Coordinate with and inform manager of any delays.
- Ensure metadata stored in Booksonix is correct and updated as necessary.
- Review and evaluate copyediting, design, proofs, alterations, text, covers, and jacket
- Review freelance copy edits and send on to author.
- Accept/reject freelance copyeditor’s changes and author changes and prepare pre-design files for typesetting.
- Prepare photos, maps, charts, and tables for designer and help assist authors with delivery of these and other manuscript materials
- Send proofs to authors and proofreaders.
- Evaluate and make proofreading changes and input into InCopy. Check proofs.
- Check printer proofs.
- Create and update tasks on BooksoniX, Basecamp, Asana, and other project management software as required.
- Hands-on copyediting and proofreading will be required.
- Assist authors with preparation and delivery of front and end matter (bibliography, notes, index etc), and the refining of jacket material.
- Perform miscellaneous administrative tasks.
- Additional tasks to support the publishing program as they arise.
- Education — Publishing certification and university degree (B.A. minimum) or comparable work experience/college qualifications.
- Specialized knowledge — At least 2 years prior editorial publishing experience. Extensive knowledge of the book publishing industry and its procedures.
- Skills — Excellent knowledge of proper English usage. Excellent communication skills (oral and written).
- Abilities — An eye for detail and excellent judgement. The ability to consistently meet deadlines. The ability to work well independently as well as in collaborative or team environments. The ability to move from project to project quickly ensuring projects continue to move ahead. The ability to suggest solutions and actively manage problems as they arise.
- Other characteristics such as personal characteristics — Diplomacy, including tactfulness, a capacity for active listening, and negotiation ability, especially in communications with authors.
- Computer skills — Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, InDesign/InCopy. Familiarity with web-based project management systems (e.g. Basecamp, Asana).
- Other — Ability to speak, read, and proofread in French is an asset.
Please submit cover letter and resume to Kathryn Lane at klane [at] dundurn [nospam] com by April 28, 2017.